- The latest issue of Review Journal (as well as past issues) can be found in the Members Only section under the "News" tab.
- Governor Ivey has appointed the Alabama Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology (ABESPA) representatives from Districts 2 and 7. Congratulations to Nichole Bailey, SLP, District 2 and Imola Xenia MacPhee, AUD, District 7. The new representatives will begin their term on October 1, 2019.
- As you have most likely seen or heard about, the Alabama Senate passed SB 119, a bill with the goal to repeal common core from the state of Alabama. While there were amendments made which excluded important national assessments like the ACT, Advanced Placement tests and National Board Certification, there are still many things within the bill which could result in unintended consequences for educators, the educational system and for students in our state. You can contact your state representative using the following link:
It is SHAA's mission to advance the disciplines of speech-language pathology and audiology in order to provide support for professionals while advocating quality services. I encourage you to support our fellow SLPs and audiologists who work in the schools by contacting your representative to express any concerns you may have about SB 119.
- ASHA CE Registry Hours have been submitted by our CE Director, Gary Copeland - firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to have your hours added to your ASHA CE transcript at this point, see https://www.asha.org/CE/CEUs/What-to-Do-If-Your-ASHA-CE-Registry-Transcript-Is-Missing-A-Course/.
For more information about reporting your hours for ASHA Certification Maintenance, please see: https://www.asha.org/certification/maintain-ccc/
- Starting with the 2020 - 2022 interval, ASHA now requires one hour of ethics training per three-year interval. ASHA requires every CCC-SLP who supervises or intends to supervise any grad student or CF to accrue two hours of supervision/clinical instruction training once in his or her career.
- Sandra R. Holzman, MS, CCC-SLP, COM, QOM, with Neo-Health Services submitted August 2019's Orofacial Myology News. To view the newsletter, click here.
- If you shop on Amazon, SHAA has an AmazonSmile account. Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible Amazon purchases to SHAA. Please use this link before you shop: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/58-2264544.