ASHA members may apply to this year-long program that will develop their leadership skills and allow them to give back to their professions. Thirty participants will be chosen for the LDP, with preference given to those who are affiliates of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) or past members of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA). Applicants may not have prior, current, or incoming service as a member of the ASHA Board of Directors, nor as a committee, board, or council chair.The LDP kicks off Friday, April 24, 2020, at the ASHA National Office and will be followed by eight webinars throughout the year. To learn more about the LDP, visit our LDP page: www.asha.org/About/governance/.
To apply right now click here.
Joint Committee on Infant Hearing Publishes 2019 Position Statement, read here.
- ABESPA positions for Congressional Districts 4 & 5 are now being accepted. The term is from October 2020 to 2023. Please complete the following form if interested:
- SHAA Executive Board Positions are now being accepted for the positions shown here. If interested, please complete the following form: https://form.jotform.com/92725060714151. Candidate forms are due by Friday, November 15. Voting for ABESPA and SHAA positions will be held December 2 - 13.
- 2020 Award Nominations and Graduate Scholarship Applications are now being accepted. To nominate someone for an Award, see categories here. To apply for a graduate scholarship, fill out the form here.
- Congratulations to SHAA for receiving ASHA's Student Advocacy Grant for 2020. Stay tuned for details about this event that will be held in Montgomery in the Spring of 2020!
- The latest issue of Review Journal (as well as past issues) can be found in the Members Only section under the "News" tab.
- As you have most likely seen or heard about, the Alabama Senate passed SB 119, a bill with the goal to repeal common core from the state of Alabama. While there were amendments made which excluded important national assessments like the ACT, Advanced Placement tests and National Board Certification, there are still many things within the bill which could result in unintended consequences for educators, the educational system and for students in our state. You can contact your state representative by clicking here. It is SHAA's mission to advance the disciplines of speech-language pathology and audiology in order to provide support for professionals while advocating quality services. I encourage you to support our fellow SLPs and audiologists who work in the schools by contacting your representative to express any concerns you may have about SB 119.
- Starting with the 2020 - 2022 interval, ASHA now requires one hour of ethics training per three-year interval. ASHA requires every CCC-SLP who supervises or intends to supervise any grad student or CF to accrue two hours of supervision/clinical instruction training once in his or her career.
- If you shop on Amazon, SHAA has an AmazonSmile account. Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible Amazon purchases to SHAA. Please use this link before you shop: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/58-2264544.